Friday, February 19, 2010

Free Lemons and Hints of Spring


Someone dropped a small brown paper bag full of lemons on our porch the other day. Who? I have no idea. There wasn't a name or a note. Just a bag of lemons. I'm guessing it was one of our neighbors but I'm not positive. Anyway, it was a nice thing to do, and it was a nice surprise to find a bag of local Alameda lemons on the porch. 

It made me wish I had a lemon tree and I could drop bags of lemons on unsuspecting neighbors. It also got me thinking about all the fruit and vegetables it would be possible to grow in the city of Alameda (or any city really). What if every yard had a fruit tree or two and some rows of vegetables? Oh to dream...

I swear I am seeing more and more vegetables being grown. I have noticed many houses in Alameda with little vegetable plots tucked into their front yard. Who knows how many countless houses have them in the back yard. 

I was riding my bike the other week when I noticed a house that had chard and kale growing right in the front yard. No formal beds or anything, just chard and kale growing with other plants. They even had a large artichoke plant right there in their front yard. All the other houses on the block had tidy little lawns and hedges, but here was this one house just growing some vegetables in the front yard. Very cool.

As far as my own backyard growing goes, the Santa Rosa plum tree has exploded with delicate white blossoms and I've been weeding the vegetable boxes. I have some lettuce, spinach and chard that I'm going to put in the ground soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment