Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Summer Garden

I just got back from vacation up in Oregon. When I went outside to look at the garden, I saw that the tomatoes had been growing and ripening like crazy while I was away. I picked a whole basket of the cherry tomatoes and there were still lots left on the plants. There's also a zucchini growing on the zucchini plant, with some more blossoms around it.

Orange orbs bursting with flavor

So many deliciously sweet tomatoes!

The Big Ones

Box o' Tomatoes

The Lonely Zucchini

Squash Blossoms

Chives

The tomato harvest (with mint and thyme in the background)

With all these delicious tomatoes, I knew I needed to make something for dinner that really highlighted the fresh picked sweetness of these pizza. What better way than a homemade pizza!

This is one of my favorite pizzas, the recipe is from Deborah Madison's, Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone. It's called "Zucchini Pizza with Cherry Tomatoes and Goat Cheese." It has zucchini and fresh mozzarella, and then you make a mixture of of the sliced cherry tomatoes with a little garlic, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. This is sprinkled on top and then you sprinkle goat cheese (feta cheese works as well). As soon as it comes out of the oven you sprinkle more fresh basil and brush the crust with garlic olive oil. The crust is simply a home made pizza dough of whole wheat / white flour. It's very thin and crispy. What really makes this pizza special is the freshly picked, homegrown, tomatoes.

That night's dinner: Pizza!

1 comment:

  1. That pizza looks scrumptious! Seeing all those tomatoes reminds me that I need to get busy and process my own, sauce is my agenda.

    ReplyDelete