Saturday, August 8, 2009

Julie and Julia

This evening I went to see the new "foodie" movie, "Julie and Julia." It was very well done and I definitely enjoyed it. It made me realize that I knew very little about Julia Child, although she has been a huge figure in the American culinary scene of past generations. I guess I am a little bit young to have seen the influence she had on home-cooking in the United States.

I think the two cookbook authors whom I have truly learned how to cook from, have been Deborah Madison and Alice Waters. Their cookbooks are my bibles.

Michael Pollan wrote a wonderful article talking about the influence Julia Child had and how she was different from the current chefs who are on the Food Network nowadays. I found it rather eye-opening. 

Now I've just been meaning to get a hold of  The Art of French Cooking...

No comments:

Post a Comment